Documenting surprising sightings, fascinating findings, & exciting encounters, with birds, wildlife, & other nature,
around Hemel Hempstead...

Explore & find out more about wildlife in this West Hertfordshire town. To return to the full homepage just click the banner above...

NEW SOCIAL MEDIA, & BLOG COMING SOON


Regular visitors will have noticed a decrease in posts to the HEMEL NATURE
blog - this is because I have been living & working out of the area, & due to the job my time out
& about with nature in Hemel is limited. I am working on a new blog to come soon & hope that the work that has gone into HEMEL NATURE will prove useful & interesting to those still visiting it.


In the mean time you can follow me at my new accounts on the following social media platforms...

Instagram @DanFWildlife > https://www.Instagram.com/DanFWildlife

Twitter @DanFWildlife > https://Twitter.com/DanFWildlife

Facebook I am still building on but you can still follow me none-the-less
by 'Likeing' the @DanFWildlife Page > https://www.Facebook.com/DanFWildlife

Many thanks for your support,

Dan.

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Large Female SMOOTH NEWT (COMMON NEWT) on footpath S of Piccotts End Pools.


SMOOTH NEWT (COMMON NEWT) on footpath at Piccotts End Pools.



A large Female SMOOTH NEWT (COMMON NEWT) was on the footpath heading towards Piccotts End Pools from the S this morning which was nice to see. It was completely still & didn't move when approached so I took a couple of snaps, then as it was directly in the 'tread zone' I decided to move it to a safer spot beside the footpath. I took this opportunity to take a couple of photos showing its size compared to my hand. Unfortunately I only had the 150-500mm on the Pentax so it wasn't ideal for taking pics at close range, but fortunately I was carrying my waterproof Lumix compact, which meant I could also take a short video...






SMOOTH NEWT (COMMON NEWT) on footpath at Piccotts End Pools.


SMOOTH NEWT (COMMON NEWT) & footpath where found in background, at Piccotts End Pools.
(Click to enlarge)

Showing length of SMOOTH NEWT (COMMON NEWT) compared to hand, at Piccotts End Pools.
(Click to enlarge)

SMOOTH NEWT (COMMON NEWT) at Piccotts End Pools.









Martin Parr

  Shared publicly
Great video Dan, nice to find one of these out and about. They breed in my pond so I come across them in the garden occasionally and can always rely on fishing one out to show the kids!

VELORAPTOR HemelBirding
Thanks Martin. Great little creatures. Lucky you, I wish I even had my own garden :)



HEMEL BIRDING via Google+

  Shared publicly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment for VELORAPTOR which will be viewable on this blog...